Frequently Asked Questions
This FAQ is meant to help with some of the commonly asked questions I get. If you can’t find an answer please contact me, I am always happy to help.
There are hundreds of microphones and pieces of studio gear available for professional voice over artists to choose from. While many creative professionals seek to get their hands on the newest (most expensive) equipment on the market, I seek rather to find what works best for me to achieve the highest quality sound and impact for my clients. Ultimately, it’s the performance that matters most.
Processing: DBX 286s Microphone Pre-Amp
Digital Conversion: Scarlett Solo from Focusrite 2-Channel Audio Interface
Computer: iMac 3.4/i7 w/32GB RAM running OS 10.11.6 recording to G-Technology RAID Drives
Software: Adobe Audition, Apple Sound Track Pro, Audacity
Acoustically Treated Home Studio Recording/Editing Facility:
Dedicated professional home studio that has a noise floor of less than – 60db.
Online Directed Sessions:
High speed internet connection which allows me to regularly schedule online directed sessions with producers all over the world. This can be done via SessionLinkPRO, Skype (troywhudson1963), Zoom or even by Phone.
Mic: Marshall MXL 2006 Large Gold Diaphragm Condenser Microphone with MXL-57 Shock Mount and dual screened pop filter
Mixer: Behringer Xenyx 802 Premium 8-Input 2-Bus Mixer with Xenyx Mic Preamps and British EQs
Digital Conversion: Lexicon Alpha 2-Channel Desktop Recording Studio
Travel Mic: Blue Yeti
There are numerous factors I consider when setting a rate for your project.
- Word Count of the script
- Distribution (commercial rights or not)
- Do I need to proof/edit your script
- Do you need it synced to an existing video or timed
- How quickly you need it back
- Do you need background music and/or sound effects
- Do you need special effects, a full mix or just dry voice
These answers will determine the rate.
Yes, while there are lots of variables to be considered my current rate table is below:
WORD COUNT for the following use (online/event/presentation)
- UP TO 300 = .25 per word
- 301 – 500 = .17 per word
- 501 – 1,000 = .13 per word
- 1,001 – 3,000 = .10 per word
- MORE THAN 3,000 = .07 per word
*For example the base cost for a 300 word script delivered as a dry voice with no timing requirements would cost around $75
COMMERCIAL – LOCAL/LIMITED RUN on BROADCAST/CABLE/STREAMING/SATELLITE
- RADIO/TV :30 = $75 (LOCAL) + $200 FOR REGIONAL + $500 FOR NATIONAL
- RADIO/TV:60 = $125 (LOCAL) + $350 FOR REGIONAL + $750 FOR NATIONAL
- ADD MUSIC = $20 PER CUT (I use the audioblocks.com royalty free production music library as my source that you can choose from or provide your own)
*This is for dry voice delivery. For voice effects and full mix cost will be negotiated.
PER FINISHED HOUR (9,300 WORDS = 1 HOUR)
- $300 (Nonfiction)
- $350+ (characters/fiction)
*I will not produce any content with profanity or content that I am not comfortable with (contact me for clarification).
.10 – .25 PER WORD DEPENDING ON CONTENT
*Includes file segmentation and naming
VOICE OVER SYNCING TO VIDEO OR TIMED SECTIONS
$25 PER FINISHED MINUTE
*For example a 2 minute 15 second video that required my voice to sync to a scratch track or time cues would cost an additional $75.